Re: Warning is adjusted of pgbench.

From: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warning is adjusted of pgbench.
Date: 2007-09-26 02:46:28
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hi.

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>

> "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> writes:
>>> Why do you need to #undef EXEC_BACKEND, and is there a specific reason for
>>> removing the include of win32.h?
>
>> I put in in order to avoid -D of the Makefile.
>
> If that matters, the problem is that somebody put the wrong stuff in the
> wrong include file. Backend-only things ought to go in postgres.h not
> c.h. In particular this is wrongly placed:
>
> /* EXEC_BACKEND defines */
> #ifdef EXEC_BACKEND
> #define NON_EXEC_STATIC
> #else
> #define NON_EXEC_STATIC static
> #endif
>
> but AFAICS it doesn't affect anything that pgbench would care about.
> So I'm wondering *exactly* what goes wrong if you don't #undef
> EXEC_BACKEND in pgbench.
>
> As for the FRONTEND #define, that seems essential on Windows (and on no
> other platform) because port/win32.h uses it. But putting the #define
> into pgbench.c (and by implication into anything else we build on
> Windows) sure seems like a broken approach. Where else could we put it?
> It looks like right now that's left to the build system, which might or
> might not be a good idea, but if it is a good idea then pgbench must be
> getting missed. Perhaps instead postgres_fe.h should #define FRONTEND?

Yes, I feared that the physique of a main part broke. Then, Magnus said the
same suggestion as you. It seems that it needs to be brushup.
I am going to improve by the reason referred to as that FRONTEND influences
nmake (libpq) again. Probably, Mugnus is operating main part.?

Thanks.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito