Re : Win32 binaries test / pg_dump problem

From: "Cyril VELTER" <cyril(dot)velter(at)metadys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re : Win32 binaries test / pg_dump problem
Date: 2004-05-27 17:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-patches
     I reduced the pg_dump problem to a simple example. In fact, it seems to
 be more a stdin / stdout problem

     if you psql -f test.sql basetest from the windows shell to a windows or
 linux database, you'll get a missing data error :

 psql:test.sql:9: ERROR:  missing data for column "b"
 CONTEXT:  COPY test, line 1: "a"

     if you psql -f test.sql basetest from a linux shell to a windows or
 linux database, you won't get an error

     Another problem wich seems related to stdout occur while dumping a big
 table (during a pg_dump, or manual COPY to STDOUT or COPY to FILE command).
 At a point the backend crash :

 LOG:  server process (PID 3148) was terminated by signal 5
 LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

     I haven't managed to reduce this problem to a simple case (the actual
 table is 6GB).

 Any idea where the problem can come from ?

 BTW, I use the precompiled binaries from 23 may. Linux test are done with
 7.4.1

 cyril

OK.

>     Great Works !!!!!!
>
>     After that I tried to restore a bigger one (~16Go)
>
>     restore from a 7.1.3 dump (in -d mode) : restore is VERY slow. For a
> very simple table 3 int8 columns, I get 32 records per second (Bi Xeon 2.4
> Ghz / ide 7200 disk / 2 Go RAM) while I get around 1000 per second on a
> linux box (the box is similar hardware except it is 10000 rpm scsi disk,
but
> I don't think that explain all that difference). During the import, CPU is
> idle and the disk is working very hard.
>

>     While running pg_dump (the windows one) from a linux 7.4.1 database to
> windows, the speed is comparable to linux->linux, but I got the following
> message :
>
> ERROR : missing data for column "p32134"
> CONTEXT: COPY c2674, line ....
>
>     After analyzing the dump, it seems to be caused by a ctrl-Z (1A)
> character embeded into a text column which seem to confuse the win32 psql

pgsql-patches by date