Portable database ... ?

From: "Florian v(dot) Savigny" <lorian(at)fsavigny(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Portable database ... ?
Date: 2009-02-20 11:09:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear community,

I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate forum (maybe it's
actually better asked on the developers' list), but as my impression
grows my question might be naive, I thought I should probably duly
start as a novice:

Is there any way to have the Linux and the Windows versions of
PostgreSQL use the same database? (On a double-boot machine.)

When trying this, I ran into trouble as soon as I tried to initiate a
database on a VFAT partition while running Linux. That seemed to fail
because VFAT does not support (sym)links:

PANIC: could not link file "<root>/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.3846" to
"<root>/pg_xlog/000000010000000000000000" (initialization of log
file 0, segment 0): the operation is not permitted

("<root>" is the directory I specified to initdb using the -D option).

What made me a little curious about this is that when I initiate a
database on an ext3 partition, which of course succeeds, it definitely
does not seem to contain any hard links or symlinks, just regular
files (and none of the regular files has a link count >1).

Of course a host of other issues could prevent such a "dual-OS", or
"portable" database. I actually would just like to ask whether the
route is worth pursuing at all ...

Thanks for any input!

Florian v. Savigny