more on character fields

From: lsunley(at)mb(dot)sympatico(dot)ca
To: pgsql-hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: more on character fields
Date: 2004-12-26 20:49:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

It would appear that none of the comparision functions work on my OS/2
port for columns defined as char or varchar.

With a table "smalvar" of two columns, one varchar and the other name acol
nn
---- --
aaaa AA
bbbb AA
cccc CC

a "select * from smalvar where acol = 'aaaa' "
will return all three rows

a "select * from smalvar where nn = 'AA' "
will return two rows.

a "select * from smalvar where nn = 'CC' "
will return two rows.

I realize I have a problem with comparisons as any thing that does a
comparison using a char or varchar field fails, whereas doing the same
operation with a "name" column succeeds and with an integer column
succeeds.

What I would like help with is locating where in the code the comparisons
take place for these functions.

Please help?

Thank you

Lorne