PL/pgSQL Articles

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/pgSQL Articles
Date: 2006-06-30 04:18:19
Lists: pdxpug

Fellow PostgreSQLs,

First, a quick introduction. I'm David Wheeler, and I run Kineticode,
a consulting company here in Portland. I also develop and maintain
Bricolage an content management system that runs on PostgreSQL
(though a summer of code student is currently porting it to MySQL—
yikes!). I've been working with PostgreSQL since 1999, and getting
quite active in the PostgreSQL community for the last few years (I
was in the SF PostgreSQL group till I moved here two years ago).

These days, I'm working on a new object/relational mapper in Perl
that uses the best features of the database. These currently include
PostgreSQL and SQLite. Both are very nice to work with. Anyway, as
I've been working more with PostgreSQL, I've started to working more
with PL/pgSQL. It's not a bad language, and I thought it should get
more widespread attention. So I've written a three articles on it for
onLamp.com, the second of which was published today. The first two
articles are here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/05/11/postgresql-plpgsql.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/06/29/many-to-many-with-
plpgsql.html

O'Reilly may or may not published the third article; if they don't,
I'll publish it on my blog, where I currently have a number of other
tidbits on PL/pgSQL.

http://www.justatheory.com/
http://www.justatheory.com/computers/databases/postgresql/

And while I'm at it, for those of you who enjoy working in Perl, you
might also be interested in these recent articles on PL/Perl on the
O'Reilly Network, written by Andrew Dunstan:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2005/11/10/using-perl-in-
postgresql.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2006/01/19/more-perl-in-
postgresql.html