Re: String Translation

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String Translation
Date: 2003-10-16 18:03:34
Lists: sfpug

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 10:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Why is this field NUMERIC if it only accepts 0 or 1? NUMERIC takes
> up seven
> times the storage and memory as INT2 would.

Due to a port from Oracle that we did way back in ancient history. In
Bricolage 2, these will be changed to booleans.

>> CREATE INDEX idx_story_data_tile__key_name ON
>> story_data_tile(LOWER(key_name));
>
> If key_name only contains lowercase data, why bother with a functional

Hrm, good point. But I think it allows uppercase data, too. The
functional index allows us to do case-insensitive searching.

> No, one index shouldn't cause this problem.

Yes, and looking at the code now, I see that that index isn't even
added until after the data is inserted. So I'm not sure what the
problem is...

Regards,

David
--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david(at)kineticode(dot)com ICQ: 15726394