Problem starting postmaster at startup

From: "Patrick Bye (WFF)" <PBYE(at)Westfair(dot)CA>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem starting postmaster at startup
Date: 2003-01-29 23:23:30
Lists: pgsql-general

My postgresql database has been starting up automatically at boot time for 4
weeks until this week. No messages in the logfile why it doesn't start. I
am running version 7.2.3 in SuSE Linux 7.0 (s390). I did the build of
postgres on this system.

I had this difficulty when I first installed. I tried using the startup
script from the contrib directory without any luck. I put it in the
/etc/rc.d directory and created a symbolic link to it in the rc.2 directory
for starting. The script works fine if I run it but wouldn't at startup.
So I created my own in the same directory.

#! /bin/sh
case $1 in
start)
su -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l
/usr/local/pgsql/data/logfile -D /usr/local/pgsql/data' postgres
;;
stop)
su -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl stop -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'
postgres
;;
esac

exit 0

This has been working fine for 4 weeks. Now, all I get at startup is the
message "postmaster successfully started" but I cannot find postmaster
running anywhere in the system. I know pg_ctl is executing because of the
message but postmaster is not logging anything at all.

I know a little about *nix but not anything about the startup process. Any
help would be appreciated.

Patrick Bye
Programmer / Analyst
Westfair Foods Ltd.