Cannot create UTF-8 database

From: "Carlson, Jacob" <jacob(dot)carlson(at)navteq(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Carlson, Jacob" <jacob(dot)carlson(at)navteq(dot)com>
Subject: Cannot create UTF-8 database
Date: 2010-03-12 14:18:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hello,

I am trying to create a UNICODE schema and am getting an error.  Is there a configuration file I need to update to except Unicode schemas?  I am using this version of software - postgresql-8.3.8-S10.i386-64.tar.
To note, I am able to create an ASCII encoded schema with no problem.

Unicode Error:

postgres=# create database "apt_utf8" with encoding = 'UNICODE';
ERROR:  encoding UTF8 does not match server's locale C
DETAIL:  The server's LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding LATIN1.

ASCII schema created:

postgres=# create database "apt_sql_ascii" with encoding = 'SQL_ASCII';
CREATE DATABASE

Thanks for any information.

Jacob Carlson
jacob(dot)carlson(at)navteq(dot)com<mailto:jacob(dot)carlson(at)navteq(dot)com>

NA Technical Operations Group
Work Phone 312-780-3040

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.

pgsql-bugs by date