Re: Fixing domain input

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing domain input
Date: 2006-04-05 02:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 4, 2006, at 10:39 , Tom Lane wrote:

> So there's no additional risk --- in fact, arguably having such a
> function crash during normal input of NULL would be a Good Thing,
> because it would make it far more likely that the mistake would get
> noticed and fixed before someone used it as a form of DOS attack.

Granted, finding an error earlier than later is a Good Thing, but an
Even Better Thing would be to prevent crashing the backend, and
afaics (as far as that is) the change you propose doesn't hurt
anything. Do you see any way to do that?

I'm glad to see work being done on domains. I'm definitely learning
from the discussion.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com