Re: char or int vs varchar

From: "Mike Oxford" <szii(at)sziisoft(dot)com>
To: "'PostgreSQL Novice'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: char or int vs varchar
Date: 2005-04-22 21:06:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Indexing is fastest on integer types. Char types are probably stored
underneath as integers (guessing.) VARCHARs are variable allocation
and when you change the string length it may have to reallocate.

Generally integers are fastest, then single characters then CHAR[x]
types and then VARCHARS.

String compares in your queries are an issue, as well.
"... where x = 'loose'" could be an issue if you query it a lot.

CHAR[1] would work, or you can use a bit field (true,false,not-set) or
if you're creative, 2 bits (01,11,10,11) and you don't use one set. Check
out the "bytea" types, but it's got a 4 byte header so you'll end up using
33 bits. :P

Personally, I'd use an "char" (note quotes - not a char(1) ) or an unsigned
smallint (in that order) so I don't have to worry about a sign-flag, I have
extended room for more flags and it indexes quickly.

> Finally there is the smallint at 2 bytes. Almost the smallest in terms of
> disk usage I wonder how it will affect performance since in most cases I
> would
> probably have to use a CASE statement to convert to something a human
> would
> intuitively understand.

Using "full strings of varchar(8)" is probably your slowest and least
efficient route...but the most readable.

I don't think Postgres does enum() fields. That would probably be ideal
in this case, since you could use human-readable strings and it'd
store/index based on the numeric offset. Oh well.

G'luck.

-Mike / Szii