Re: internal function format diff

From: "Adam Rich" <adam(dot)r(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "'Kev'" <kevinjamesfield(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: internal function format diff
Date: 2008-05-26 19:31:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> The oddest thing happens, though, where running the script right after
> I've used its previous output to create the function, it thinks
> they're different, even though they should be identical, because I'm
> the only one on here and have done nothing to the db structure in
> between these steps.
>
> So I use HTML::Diff to find out what's different, thinking it's just
> maybe something like tabs or spaces getting changed around.  The
> weirdest thing is, it claims there are a whole bunch of things
> different that are actually the same (at least visually, to me):
>
> If I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'll try posting on a perl
> newsgroup, but since I wasn't sure, I thought I'd try here first.
> Anyone have any ideas?

I've run into the same issue.  I'm also using perl to pull out function
bodies, but I'm doing to generate a diff between our development,
certification, and production databases.  Some functions/procs will
consistently show up in the diff, despite being identical as far as
I can tell.  I even pull the function script from one database and
run it on the others, to no avail.