Re: time to stop tuning?

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)sitesell(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgresql Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: time to stop tuning?
Date: 2004-11-26 19:16:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi. Thanks for responding.

As it happens, the client-side already has a connection pool.

We need statistics enabled so that autovacuum can run (without
autovacuum running our updates begin to kill us pretty quickly).

Moving off of Solaris 9 isn't an option, even for the purposes of
comparison, unfortunately.

On limiting the client side connections: we've been gradually pushing up
the client-side connection pool and threads, and have seen steady
improvement in our throughput up to the current barrier we have reached.
I guess the idea would be that backing off on the connections would
allow each operation to finish faster, but that hasn't been the observed
behavior so far.

I've attached the plans for the 4 queries that represent ~35% of our
load. These are run against the same dataset, but without any other
load. Another big query basically requires a test to be runnning because
the data is transient, and I can't run that at the moment. The times for
the individual queries is really fine - it's just they are called 3
times for every logical "unit of work" on the client side, so they are
called thousands of times in a given test (hence the need for client
caching).

Thanks.

- DAP

Attachment Content-Type Size