tablespace + RAM disk?

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tablespace + RAM disk?
Date: 2004-11-19 22:32:11
Lists: pgsql-performance
We are using 7.4.5 on Solaris 9.

We have a couple tables (holding information about network sessions, for instance) which don't need to persist beyond the life of the server, but while the server is running they are heavily hit, insert/update/delete.

Temporary tables won't work for us because they are per-connection, and we are using a thread pool, and session data could be accessed from multiple connections.

Would 8.0 tablespaces, with a tablespace placed on a RAM disk be a potential solution for this? I have used RAM disks for disk caches in the past, but I don't know if there are any special issues with defining a tablespace that way.

Thanks.

- DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2004-11-20 00:35:26