Re: update, truncate and vacuum

From: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
To: "'Scott Feldstein'" <scott(dot)feldstein(at)hyperic(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: update, truncate and vacuum
Date: 2007-07-26 22:59:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
> From: Scott Feldstein
> Subject: [PERFORM] update, truncate and vacuum
>
> Hi,
> I have a couple questions about how update, truncate and
> vacuum would work together.
>
> 1) If I update a table foo (id int, value numeric (20, 6))
> with update foo set value = 100 where id = 1
>
> Would a vacuum be necessary after this type of operation
> since the updated value is a numeric? (as opposed to a sql
> type where its size could potentially change i.e varchar)

Yes a vacuum is still necessary.  The type doesn't really matter.  Postgres
effectively does a delete and insert on all updates.

> 2) After several updates/deletes to a table, if I truncate
> it, would it be necessary to run vacuum in order to reclaim the space?

No a vacuum is not necessary after a truncate because the whole data file is
deleted once a truncate commits.  There aren't any dead rows because there
aren't any rows.

Dave