Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist

From: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist
Date: 2008-08-30 17:40:44
Lists: pgsql-general
On Aug 30, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  well, yeah! I would totally agree with you, but since I doubt very
> much "COPY FROM CSV" is part of the SQL standard to beging with, why
> not spice it up a little more?

I'd guess that coming up with a general algorithm to guess the type
from a column of CSV text would satisfy no one, since we'd always
miss a particular case that is important to someone (are times local
or UTC? Should we assume integer or float? Varchar or text?), and the
option is a forest of switches that would be extremely complex and
error prone.

This sounds very much like an application-domain problem, best solved
in the application domain.