Re: [PERFORM] Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Mikkel Høgh <mikkel(at)hoegh(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-13 06:00:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Alright, my benchmarks might have been a bit naïve.
When it comes to hardware, my webserver is a SunFire X2100 with an
Opteron 1210 Dual Core and 4 GB DDR2 RAM, running 64-bit Ubuntu Linux
Server 8.04 LTS.

When it comes to the resource usage section of my postgresql.conf, the
only thing that are not commented out are:
shared_buffers = 24MB
max_fsm_pages = 153600

I freely admit that the reason I haven't messed with these values is
that I have next to no clue what the different things do and how they
affect performance, so perhaps an apology is in order. As Scott wrote,
"Without a realistic test scenario and with no connection pooling and
with no performance tuning, I don't think you should make any
decisions right now about which is faster". My apologies.
--
Kind regards,

Mikkel Høgh <mikkel(at)hoegh(dot)org>