Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

From: "Tim Joyce" <tim(at)hoop(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour
Date: 1999-09-30 07:02:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> >On 29 Sep, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> (I'd say this is a mispackaging of readline, BTW: installed headers
> >> belong with the library, not with the sources.  By that logic a
> >> non-devel RH system would ship with an empty /usr/include tree and you
> >> couldn't compile *anything*.  But I doubt RH cares what I think...)
> >
> >I think that's what they're aiming at - a distribution with which Joe
> >User doesn't have to compile anything (he lets somebody else do it).
> >By extension, if he doesn't want to compile anything, then he doesn't
> >want the header files on there either.  I think that's the way these
> >distributions should be.
>
> I guess I'm a little confused by all this. I took a new box, installed
> RedHat 6.0, selecting custom,all (also did a workstation only). Then
> installed PostgreSQL 6.5.1 source, compiled & installed. My cursor keys
> work fine & /usr/include is full of headers (506) including readline.h. I
> don't see a problem with RH package or Postgres. Seems more like the case
> of a uniquely buggered machine.

My problem arises from the fact that I didn't select 'C development' when
installing, as i figured i wasn't a C programmer (I was doing an FTP install
over ISDN).  RH may be advised to change the package description for C
development to 'if you wan't to do _anything_ useful with your system'.  We
live and learn.  BTW IMHO installing RH Linux is easier than installing
Windows NT, which is great.

timj