group by day

From: "Edward W(dot) Rouse" <erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: group by day
Date: 2007-05-24 18:49:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have an audit table that I am trying to get a count of the number of distinct entries per day by the external table key field. I
can do a

select count(distinct(id)) from audit where timestamp >= '01-may-2007'

and get a total count. What I need is a way to group on each day and get a count per day such that the result would be something
like

date count
01-may-2007 107
02-may-2007 215
03-may-2007 96
04-may-2007 0

I would prefer the 0 entries be included but can live without them. Thanks.

Oh, postgres 7.4 by the way.

Edward W. Rouse

ComSquared Systems, Inc.

770-734-5301