Re: Vacuum error message

From: Raymond McKolay <RMcKolay(at)brittenbanners(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum error message
Date: 2012-08-17 20:35:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

From: Kevin Grittner [Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 2:41 PM
To: Raymond McKolay; pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Vacuum error message

Raymond McKolay <RMcKolay(at)brittenbanners(dot)com> wrote:

> I am new to postgresql and hope this is the correct list to mail
> to.

Sure! pgsql-general would work, too, but here is fine.

> I have a DB that is out of control huge

Meaning what? Could you give that in MB, GB, or TB? What is out
of control about it?

> I tried running a Vacuum on it and received the following error
> Error: could not read block 512591 of relation 1663/16396/16768:
> Result too large

We need more information, especially PostgreSQL version number.
Please post the results of running this query:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Server_Configuration

"version";"PostgreSQL 8.3.5 on powerpc-apple-darwin, compiled by GCC i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370)"
"client_encoding";"UNICODE"
"lc_collate";"C"
"lc_ctype";"C"
"listen_addresses";"*"
"log_destination";"stderr"
"logging_collector";"on"
"max_connections";"400"
"max_fsm_pages";"204800"
"max_stack_depth";"2MB"
"port";"5433"
"server_encoding";"UTF8"
"shared_buffers";"32MB"
"TimeZone";"US/Michigan"

> Any ideas on what this error message means and how I could
> successfully vacuum the DB?

I can't find this error, as you have shown it, in current sources --
so I can't check on what could cause it. Please double-check that
it matches *exactly* with the message you received, and with a
version number we should be able to track that down. Oh, and that
last part of the message probably came from the OS, so knowing
exactly what that is might help.

The error is character for character exact.

Ray

-Kevin