Re: WHAT to push to internet

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL EU <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHAT to push to internet
Date: 2008-03-05 16:52:15
Lists: pgeu-general
--On Dienstag, Februar 26, 2008 12:55:15 +0000 Dave Page
<dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

[sorry for jumping so late, have missed that specific part of the
thread....]

>>  > As for the stars, that was my first thought, but then I remembered
>>  > this group is specifically *Europe* not European Union.
>>
>>  Right... But I my ideas, PostgreSQL Europe could pretend to many
>>  fundings availaible in the European Union, at least thanks to three
>>  different topics:
>>
>>   - collaboration between europeans on a project : great pretext
>>   - innovation : great pretext
>>   - youth (at the board, we're all about 32-34 yo..): the worst one, but
>>    there are fundings for that too
>>
>>  So thats why some yellow stars are welcome, IMHO...
>
> I agree with your reasons, but we should not use the EU stars to
> represent them, as that *could* be seen to exclude those from outside
> the EU. We should find something else to represent what we're all
> about that is appropriate for all Europeans.

The "EU" flag was originally used by the Council of Europe, and it's widely
used to display pro-democracy, pro-europeanism in many countries now. It
became also a symbol of democratic movements and oppositions. It isn't
aimed to display "integrated" EU parts only, and it's certainly not seen
that way:

The twelve stars symbolises perfection, unity and democratic order,
representing _all_ european nations as a whole (the circle).

--
  Thanks

                    Bernd