Re: Wikipedia help requested, especially non-English speakers

From: "Reko Turja" <reko(dot)turja(at)liukuma(dot)net>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wikipedia help requested, especially non-English speakers
Date: 2005-11-13 02:10:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>; <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 6:42 PM
Subject: [pgsql-advocacy] Wikipedia help requested, especially
non-English speakers

> I've been working a lot on the Wikipedia PostgreSQL page, but I'd like
> to see other people jump in as well - the article still needs a lot of
> cleaning up, and I know this community has some good writers. Anyone
> can edit the page, found here:

> If you speak a non-English language, please take a look at the
> specific Wikipedia sites for your language - almost all of them
> contain older translated versions of the English PG page and

> Please take a moment to check out the pages for any language you
> know (and there are a lot more languages in Wikipedia than the 2
> above).
> Thanks!

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

Translated your text into Finnish and recreated the Finnish page leaving
some stuff from previous versions (notably the "Tuetut
käyttöjärjestelmät" - Supported operating systems part.) Translated text
below:

Postgres runs on most UNIX-based systems as well as clones including
HP-UX, Solaris, BSD-variants, MAC OS X and Linux. From the version 8.0
onwards there has been native Microsoft Windows support as well.

In addition I made the comparison of PostgreSQL to the Apache and *BSD
projects because Linux has no core team as such - the mentioned projects
resemble PSQL development model more closely IMHO.

There is some pretty neutral stuff comparing PostgreSQL and MySQL I left
from the earlier verion in second chapter.

Thanks for Greg and earlier writers (english & finnish) for the harder
part of the work :)

-Reko