finding if a foreign key is in use

From: Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon(at)thenilgiris(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: finding if a foreign key is in use
Date: 2004-06-29 00:48:41
Lists: pgsql-sql
in my app i have a table where the id serves as a foreign key for one or more
other tables. if i want to delete a row in the table, i currently search the
other tables where this table is referenced to see if the row is in use - and
then, if not in use, permit deletion. Now if i want the delete button in my
app to be disabled whenever a row that is in use is selected, searching the
database every time would dramatically slow down the app. is there some sql
query that will immediatly give an answer as to whether the row is in use or
not?
--
regards
kg

http://www.onlineindianhotels.net - hotel bookings reservations in over 4600
hotels in India
http://www.ootygolfclub.org

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Phil EndecottDate: 2004-06-29 13:49:31