postmaster.pid

From: "Barry Lind" <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Max Dunn" <mdunn(at)xythos(dot)com>
Subject: postmaster.pid
Date: 2004-08-20 18:03:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
One of the things I often run into when running the windows version of
postgres is that after an ungraceful shutdown of my machine (lets face
it, its windows and it crashes sometimes, especially my laptop), the
database service will not start because of the old postmaster.pid file
left around.  I understand why this happens and is necessary, but when
dealing with the windows port I think this is going to be a significant
issue (I have already seen a number of emails to the list reporting this
"problem").  I have a suggestion to mitigate this issue.  Could the
postgres service register the postmaster.pid file as a file that needs
to be deleted on windows reboot.  That way everytime you rebooted
windows after either a crash or improper shutdown any left over pid file
would be automatically removed (and we can be certain that no other
postmaster is actually running since the machine is just being booted,
so it is safe to delete the file).  I think this would solve most of the
problem and still leave the pid file in place doing what it was intended
to do.

thanks,
--Barry

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Shelby CainDate: 2004-08-20 19:42:00