Service startup delay

From: "Barry Lind" <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Max Dunn" <mdunn(at)xythos(dot)com>
Subject: Service startup delay
Date: 2004-08-20 16:48:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
We are incorporating the win32 port into our product, and have run into
a problem with the timing of the startup of the windows service.   What
is happening is that we have setup a dependency between our service and
the postgres service so that our service starts after the postgres one.
However this sometimes still fails, as it appears the postgres service
returns control to windows before the database is actually fully started
and ready to accept connections as we are getting an error in our app
(org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: A connection error has occurred:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: the database system is
starting up).  Can this be fixed?  We can hack around this in our code,
but it would be nice (and I am sure others will run into this as well)
if this was fixed properly in the postgres service itself.

thanks,
--Barry

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date