Re: Suggestion: Implicit permissions on implicitly generated objects

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Implicit permissions on implicitly generated objects
Date: 2004-04-30 14:55:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

The main reason for this is to hide the implementation details. 99% of
users don't care how a serial column works, merely that it does.

> > pgAdmin never propagated permissions.
>
> Please accept my apologies. They say the second thing to go
> is the memory... :) Wouldn't it be nice if PgAdmin III did
> propagate permissions for implicitly created objects? (Unless
> you can think of a reason that it wouldn't make sense to do
> such a thing...)

I think that is the job of the server to be honest.

> I'll try to do better:
>
> There's a simple checkbox to make a column a primary key in
> PgAdmin II. There's a more complicated procedure to create a
> primary key in PgAdmin III within the constraint tab. I
> understand that "We always used to do it that way ... " is
> not a good reason to keep something the same. I guess I can
> see how putting all of your constraints together in one tab
> is more logical than a checkbox and two tabs (a la PgAdmin
> II). Was that what you were going for? ...

Andreas refactored that bit, but I guess there are 2 main reasons -
first, it's more logical as you suggest, and secondly, the coding is a
lot more elegant.

> As I study it more, I can see how the tool flows. Since the
> tabs are meant to build one-to-the-next, perhaps instead of
> an "OK" at the bottom of the window, a "Next" might be just
> as good. Since "Primary Key" now lives in the Constraint Tab,
> I'll have to visit every tab anyway.  When you get to the SQL
> Def you can verify that the SQL reflects what you want done,
> and then you can click "OK" or "Back" or a specific tab to
> make changes. You could apply that methodology to all of the
> New Object Dialog Boxes. What do you think?

That would make them wizards rather than dialogues. I'm not against
having wizards as well, but I don't think we should have a Next button
to iterate through tabs (pga2 did in some places, but that was for
technical reasons and you couldn't click those tabs anyway) - Crystal
Reports does that and it's just plain /wrong/ :-)

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-hackers by date