Re: [HACKERS] Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,"Shachar Shemesh" <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,"Dennis Bjorklund" <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>,"Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?
Date: 2004-04-24 08:29:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers

I'm unfamiliar with the code involved so this may be a waste of
bandwidth, but it seems to me that any selection of upper or lower case
folding should be done on a per-database basis - probably specified in
the create database statement, and flagged in pg_database. If its done
per-database then any issues of "FOO" == foo go away unless someone
loads a lowercase dump into an uppercase database - in which case it's
up to them to resolve any conflicts prior to loading the dump file.

Regards, Dave.

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Shachar ShemeshDate: 2004-04-24 08:44:53

pgsql-advocacy by date

Next:From: Shachar ShemeshDate: 2004-04-24 08:44:53