Re: connection dropping continued

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
Cc: "Josh Endries" <jendries(at)pragmeta(dot)com>,<pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connection dropping continued
Date: 2004-02-17 19:59:50
Lists: pgadmin-support

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andreas Pflug [mailto:pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de]
> Sent: 17 February 2004 17:42
> To: Markus Wollny
> Cc: Josh Endries; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] connection dropping continued
>

> >I wouldn't call that malfunctioning,
>
> So call it ill-configured.

I would call it malfunctioning, it's deliberately breaking tcp/ip by the
sounds of it. You say it's to prevent DOS attacks, but isn't that
exactly what it's caused itself?

> >, a simple "select 1;" issued every 30 odd
> >seconds to all opened databases would be absolutely
> sufficient, I should
> >think. If that feature is off by default and can be switched on (and
> >maybe the interval adjusted according to needs), no one would be
> >bothered by it either.

I experimented with this following the last round of borked firewalls
and it's virtually impossible to do without screwing up pgAdmin
completely - there are all sorts of threading/concurrency problems that
would take a massive rewrite to sort out - something I'm not prepared to
do to work around a problem caused by a firewall that doesn't implement
TCP/IP properly.

> We can not and thus will not implement app level keep-alives.
> You can try to head over to pgsql-bugs or pgsql-hackers, to recommend
> implementing that in libpq, and you certainly will get the
> same answer:
> FIX THE FIREWALL!

Agreed, I'm certain that's the response you will get (I've seen it
before).

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-support by date

Previous:From: Matt DoggettDate: 2004-02-17 19:02:08
Subject: Re: inserting new records without OIDs