Re: BLOB issue(s) & questions

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Derek Shaw" <derek(at)bisi(dot)ca>, "pgsql-odbc" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB issue(s) & questions
Date: 2004-02-09 21:05:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Derek,

There are three options:

1) Use a bytea column. You might create a domain as an 'lo' alias to
bytea if required.

2) Use the /contrib/lo code. This custom datatype allows you to create a
cleanup trigger for each lo column.

3) Use the 'simple' ODBC lo option documented at:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/faq/faq.php?faq_id=52 -
this does not cleanup after itself, however in /contrib/vacuumlo is a
small utility that will remove orphaned large objects - just run it
prior to a normal vacuum, or at whatever frequency suits if you use the
autovacuum daemon.

Please note that I haven't tried using blobs in years...

Regards, Dave.