Re: Bug on functions

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug on functions
Date: 2002-12-12 16:57:10
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Donald, comments below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Fraser [mailto:demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net]
Sent: 12 December 2002 15:51
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Bug on functions

OS: W2K SP2
pgAdmin: 1.4.8

When creating a function there are two problems relating to
security rights.
1) It always adds a GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION blalba.. TO PUBLIC
even when I don't add it.

This is PostgreSQL, not pgAdmin. I have raised the issue on
pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org and was told:
The default permissions for functions grant execute to public; the
system is just instantiating that default when you do an explicit grant.

The original implementation of function permissions didn't grant
anything to public, but we concluded that that would break too many
applications to be a reasonable default.

regards, tom lane

2) It doesn't handle secuirty on groups.If I add a group to the
secuirty rights pgAdmin complanins. Error in pgAdmin
II:frmFunction.Initialise: 13 - Type mismatch. If you go to the secuirty
tab it displays nothing under privilages for a group.

This is fixed now. I'll upload a new snapshot when I've looked at the
other problems you've logged.

Ps. As an aside, do you know if there is information, a web site
etc. on running odbc apps under Linux's wine. I've tried to run pgAdmin
and I can't get the odbc stuff to register.

Sorry, don't know of one.

Regards, Dave.