Re: gentoo, anyone?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "steve fox" <steve(at)wiscota(dot)net>, <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gentoo, anyone?
Date: 2004-01-17 14:14:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

> -----Original Message-----
> From: steve fox [mailto:steve(at)wiscota(dot)net]
> Sent: 17 January 2004 12:50
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] gentoo, anyone?
>
> Hi, Dave -

Hi Steve, I've CC'd this to Adam, our configure expert...

> No.  See, the deal with gentoo is you don't run the typical
> .configure and make commands to build your packages.  Rather
> you use 'emerge,'
> which is a command to build packages in gentoo linux.

Ahh, I see. Ok, presumably though, before a package can be build wit
emerge, we still need to get configure/make to run OK.

If you fancy lending a hand, perhaps we can figure out what's required
to get pga3 to be friends with Gentoo? If so, I think the first step is
probably to do a normal ./configure and make sure that it can find
anything it needs.

> something like BSD ports and debian packages.  You sync up
> with the mothership tree to stay current.  Normally one would
> handle .configre [options] with a setting in a variable
> called $USE, but I'm not able to find it in this case.

How does it normally get set? Does emerge look for some sort of settings
file in the distribution?

Adam; do you have any experience with Gentoo?

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: steve foxDate: 2004-01-17 16:05:16
Previous:From: steve foxDate: 2004-01-17 12:49:31