Re: PostgreSQL.org v3 -- Progress?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL.org v3 -- Progress?
Date: 2003-12-09 18:55:34
Lists: pgsql-www

No, just very busy with uni work (in my case anyhoo). I finish this
module tomorrow, and with the exception of having to come up with a
dissertation topic (suggestions *very* welcome - it's for an MSc in IT)
I'm now on a break until February so will hopefully have a bit more time
free.

I'm fairly indifferent about how the site is designed from a s/w spec
point of view. What I do think matters is:

- the design should match what we're aiming for on the portal (the most
common complaint I hear is that all our sites look different).

- the look and feel should be centralised so we can update the design of
the entire site by changing only a single stylesheet and template or
similar.

- Ideally please use PHP/PostgreSQL as that is what most of us know.

As for your pal putting his name on his work, I think that is only fair
if he is doing the work, as long as it is not obtrusive.

> Second, my web guru pointed out to me that in addition to
> www.postgresql.org being multi-language, some parts of the
> web site need to be multi-*locale* as
> well. For example, News, Events, Jobs, etc. Just because
> the Spanish and
> the Mexicans speak the same language it doesn't mean that the
> Spanish want to know about training courses in Jalisco.

I assume that's fairly easy isn't it Andreas? Just a case of using the
full identifier in the code (eg pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese or pt_PT
for Portuguese Portuguese).

> Thirdly, and most importantly: A professional design firm
> has offered their
> pro-bono help with web design (they are PostgreSQL users).
> Do we want them
> involved in the WWW effort, and if so, how?

I think we need some commitment of the work being undertaken by the rest
of the team first - our major problem seems to be that although we're
all basically enthusiastic, we're all pretty busy. I think the main
priorities right now should be v3.0, but then there is also a new
techdocs site to consider as well. So, Andreas, Michael et al. can you
let us know if you have any sort of roadmap for getting v3 live?

Cheers, Dave.