Re: [GENERAL] pgAdmin vs SQL Server Enterprise Manager

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <jm(at)poure(dot)com>, <mikew(at)hyperreal(dot)org>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgAdmin vs SQL Server Enterprise Manager
Date: 2003-10-30 08:30:31
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

Hi Mike,

:-)

> > 1) With SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I can change a
> column's type.
> > For example, I can change an int column to a float, and SQL Server
> > automatically converts all of the int data to floating point data.

Unfortunately changing column types is not yet supported by PostgreSQL,
though I believe one of the hackers (Rod Taylor) is working on it. Once
PostgreSQL can do the job, we will of course add support in pgAdmin.

> > 2) With SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I can copy and paste rows.
> > There are two scenarios:

Yes, I find that feature of EM very handy as well, both for creating new
rows and copying data from one table/database to another. I have added
this to the todo list.

Good luck with your migration!

Regards, Dave.