Re: Keep-alive?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keep-alive?
Date: 2003-10-10 12:14:09
Lists: pgadmin-support

I did say I was only fiddling, hence why I posted a demo patch rather
than just committing code. I was after feedback before spending too much
time on it.

> - If a broken conn is detected, it must be marked dead.

Yes, of course.

> - This feature is exotic, and must not be active by default.

Agreed.

> - 5 seconds is ridiculously short.

Obviously you didn't read my email where I clearly stated that this
would not remain hard coded. For testing purposes 5 seconds is fine.

> - it should fire after n seconds of inactivity, not every n seconds

Yes, it should and it was. I must have lost part of the code.

> - this works only for the main window, not for those getting
> their own connection. The wxWin timer will conflict with the
> threaded executed queries, because it's not aware of
> previously or currently executed queries.

It purposefully only works on the master connection to each server as
there is no point in individually polling individual databases on the
same server. Unless you've changed the code from what I originally
wrote, the master connection will never be used for threaded queries.

> - Does it work at all? pgConn is no window, so where should
> the message come from?

Yes of course it works, I didn't just randomly type code and post it:

class pgConn : wxFrame

Regards, Dave.