Re: Incompatible encryption protocols using pg 7.3.4 / pgAdminIII?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Gene Quinn" <QUINNG00(at)dcor(dot)state(dot)ga(dot)us>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incompatible encryption protocols using pg 7.3.4 / pgAdminIII?
Date: 2003-09-28 21:35:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Gene,

pgAdmin uses the libpq PostgreSQL library to talk to the server. It
sends authentication data back to the server in the format requested by
the server:

Client -> Server {Startup, Database: dbname, User: username}
Server -> Client {Error or AuthenticationType Required}

The AuthenticationType required is determined from the pg_hba.conf file
on the server using the client address and the information in the
startup packet. What authentication type is specified in your
pg_hba.conf file?

Regards, Dave.