Re: WIN ODBC 7.03.01.0000 & MD5

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jeff Silberberg" <jsilberberg(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIN ODBC 7.03.01.0000 & MD5
Date: 2003-06-02 12:47:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jeff Silberberg [mailto:jsilberberg(at)mindspring(dot)com]
	Sent: 02 June 2003 13:12
	To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Subject: WIN ODBC 7.03.01.0000 & MD5

	Good Morning,

	        I need some assistance in that a number of the installed
servers that we support are now using md5 as protection for the public
network.  This works fine, except that a few users have MS Access
connections for generating adhoc reports and connect using  this driver.
I keep them fairly current, and in fact most are now either on 7.02.5 or
the newest 7.03.01.0000.

Jeff,

Please use the pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org list for such queries rather
than private email.

The quick answer is to specify authentication type of 'md5' instead of
'password' in your pg_hba.conf file. The server will the ask the ODBC
driver to send an MD5 digest of the password. More details are in the
Administrators Guide.

PS:  When in the Drivers tab of the ODBC Data Source Administrator. I
have a strange entry..

PostgreSQL+(Beta)     Not Marked   Not Marked ...

Sounds like older versions of the driver were not uninstalled before
installing the newer ones. Backup your system first in case something
goes wrong, then using regedit, delete the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL+ (Beta)

and the value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\PostgreSQL+
(Beta)

Reopen the ODBC driver manager and you should be OK.

Regards, Dave.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2003-06-02 13:25:00
Previous:From: Bill ShuiDate: 2003-06-02 10:57:54
Subject: Re: the proper way of inserting and retrieving odbc data.