Build Systems

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Build Systems
Date: 2003-05-30 07:57:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Guys,

After chatting with a new classmate at Uni who happens to be a big
pgAdmin fan, I built a source distro for him to compile which can be
found on snake.pgadmin.org. A few issues arose however:

1) There were a number of .h and .xpm files missing from Makefile.am.
Please try to remember to add any new files you add to the source tree -
even notes and text files as these get included in /Makefile.am to
ensure they are in the source tarball.

2) The reason David needed a source distro was because we still seem to
be at least partly dynamically linking and his Mandrake 8 system has an
older gblic than snake. What's the correct fix for this - manually
adding --static and --static-gcc to AM_CXXFLAGS in Makefile.in? Somehow
that doesn't seem right - what if it's not gcc?

3) 'make distcheck' fails even though the resulting distribution is
good. I can't even begin to speculate what's causing this.

Regards, Dave.