Re: Upgrading rant.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "mlw" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>,"Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>,"Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading rant.
Date: 2003-01-05 16:58:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Agreed.

> No one is going to use it if you say, backup your data just
> in case.

I think we would be irresponsible to _not_ say that, no matter how good
we thought the code was.

> It
> should be as trust worthy as postgresql itself. If it can't
> be that it
> is not a valid tool. Anything less will not be used by
> professionals and
> wouldn't be worth the effort.

Agreed again. But I still backup my PostgreSQL boxes, and would advise
anyone else to as well. Frankly I'm glad I do, especially having had yet
another Fujitsu disk die the other day.

Regards, Dave.