Problems starting PostgreSQL on Suse 8.2

From: "James Nichols" <ycore(at)ev1(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problems starting PostgreSQL on Suse 8.2
Date: 2003-09-16 20:14:29
Lists: pgsql-novice
I am having difficulting getting PostgreSQL up and running on my Suse 8.2 server.

I get the message:
Starting PostgreSQLpg_ctl: postmaster does not start

When I type in pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data start as user postgres it tells me it was successful, but then I am unable to find a postmaster pid in the ps -A listing.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled PostgreSQL using Yast to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

James

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: NoelDate: 2003-09-17 03:07:41