search for help about PostgreSQL check mechanism

From: "Chen, Dongdong (GE Healthcare)" <DongdongChen(at)ge(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: search for help about PostgreSQL check mechanism
Date: 2009-04-21 05:44:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

We are now working on database check mechanism in our application. The
situation is when server shutdown abnormally, the postmaster.pid still
exists when reboot, But the PostgreSQL database itself may not be
damaged. We just do not want to restore from backups if the database is
still good. So, is there any way or tool to automatically check the
consistency status of PostgreSQL database when server starts up(like the
DBCC in SQL server)? If the PostgreSQL database records are damaged for
sure, then the restoration should be executed automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion.

B.R.

Kevin Chen