Re: Domain Support -- another round

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Domain Support -- another round
Date: 2002-03-21 15:03:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> There are still some things that need to be worked on:
>
> 1. pg_dump. We *cannot* release this feature in 7.3 if there's not
> pg_dump support for it.

I intend to try to do this next week.

> 2. Arrays. I don't much care for the fact that arrays of
domain-type
> values aren't supported. The handling of domains that are
themselves
> arrays seems a tad odd as well: the array-ish nature of the domain
is
> exposed, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Perhaps we'd be
> better off to forbid array domains.

The reason I didn't make array types for domains is that I have
absolutly no idea how to manage the below case once point 4 is
implemented.

create domain dom as int4 check (VALUE > 5);
create table tab (col1 dom[2][3]);

> 3. Domains on domains. Why shouldn't I be able to make a domain
that's
> a further restriction of another domain?

Not entirely sure, except the book I had (SQL99 Complete, Really)
specifically forbids it.

> 4. CHECK constraints for domains (which after all is the real point,
> no?)

Yes, I'm slow and only capable of one step at a time. Foreign key
constraints are the other real point.