Re: Error while retrieving generated keys

From: "Gary Greenberg" <gary(at)icontrol(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error while retrieving generated keys
Date: 2007-03-09 21:14:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-odbc

See my responses inline:

-----Original Message-----
From: Heikki Linnakangas [mailto:hlinnaka(at)gmail(dot)com] On Behalf Of Heikki
Linnakangas
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 11:31 AM
To: Gary Greenberg
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Error while retrieving generated keys

Gary Greenberg wrote:

> I see it now. It should have been, however, mentioned in documentation for

> the JDBC driver.

Agreed, this question has come up many times recently. Would you like to

write a paragraph or two explaining the situation and the workaround?

I don't know about an easy workaround. Especially while using frameworks.

I am using Spring framework with Hibernate mapping and a lot of low level
Java code is hidden from me. I do not have a particular desire to go back to
plain JDBC calls. If I have to, I'd replace INSERT statement with a call to
a stored function returning key value. But as said in my original email it
is a lot of additional hassle.

> In essence it means that PostgreSQL has fallen into the third world of

> database engines.

> I am really disappointed that PostgreSQL is becoming a fossil.

;-) Now you're exaggerating.

Am I? Who, in his right mind will go back from using JPA or Hibernate to
plain old JDBC calls?

Should we go to managing transactions manually, OR mapping, etc?

It would be exaggerating if I'd offer to go back to punch cards or coding in
assembler. (I do remember it).

> If there are no plans to make this feature work in the very near future,

> I'll be pushing for replacement of the engine.

Ken Johanson posted a preliminary patch in February, but there was a

bunch of issues with it. This is an open source project, so if you'd

like to see it happen, patches are more than welcome.

I can look up at this patch and see if I can contribute to fix it.
Unfortunately I am on tight project schedule.

How do I download the patch, though?

--

Heikki Linnakangas