Text Variable in a Function

From: "Matthew Pulis" <mpulis(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Text Variable in a Function
Date: 2008-04-09 10:46:54
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

I am trying to write a function, and have written this :

        var_params_shootingstar :=

          $v$

                WHERE

                     (

                       t1.status = TRUE,

                       AND    (

                                (

                                  (

                                    SELECT

                                          z( pointn(
geometryn(d3.the_geom,1), 1) ) AS z

                                          FROM streets_3d d3

                                               WHERE d3.gid = t1.gid

                                   ) / $v$ || var_rain_cm || $v$

                                  ) >= $v$ || var_ratio_car_rain || $v$

                                ),

                        AND     (

                                   $v$ || var_ratio_cartype_rain || $v$ <=
10

                                )

                       )

           $v$;

       RAISE NOTICE 'Where clause : %',
quote_literal(var_params_shootingstar);

Instead of $v$ I also tried $vps$ and ' . I also tried removing
quote_literal() to no avail.

My problem is that I get : NOTICE:  Where clause : <NULL> when I try to
execute the function.

I tried changing it to  var_params_shootingstar :=  $v$ this is a test $v$
|| var_rain_cm || $v$ end of test $v$;

And this is the result I got : NOTICE:  Where clause :  this is a test 0 end
of test

BTW : var_params_shootingstar is declared as TEXT.

I know this is a very strange problem, hence why I am asking here, been
trying different things for more than an hour.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Matthew

  _____

It has removed 26496 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Terry Lee TuckerDate: 2008-04-09 10:59:05