Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION
Date: 2006-01-31 20:04:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Csaba Nagy wrote:

> Is there any chance for psql opening a new session if it's inside a
> transaction and use that to do whatever querying is needed ? Just
> something like the control connection on ftp (analogy not very good).
> That could cause other surprises though (could fail for example due to
> too many connections open), and I have no idea about psql internals so
> it might be completely against it's philosophy...

Perhaps not multiple connections, but multiple transactions per connection,
like Oracle supports, AFAIK. All with a big ;-) of course. I doubt it would
be easy to implement that. The assumption one-connection-has-one-transaction
is probably pretty deeply burried in many backend components. Has this been
changed by the prepared-transactions stuff? I may be mistaken, which would
be very positive news.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold