Re: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?

From: "Russell Black" <rblack(at)iarchives(dot)com>
To: <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Cygwin" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?
Date: 2001-08-02 17:33:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Cygwin" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 3:41 PM
Subject: [CYGWIN] Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?

> Cygwin folks: It does work---I can execute queries against it and
> am even using some PG/plSQL stored procedures. But it gets slow,
> even with regular vacumming, and more importantly, after a while
> literally dozens of "postgresql.exe" processes appear in the
> Task Manager, bogging down the system until I have to kill all
> the processes and restart the database.

As I understand it, there is postgres.exe process per connection.  Perhaps
you could reduce the dozens of of processes by doing some connection
pooling.  I'm using postgresql as the db for a J2EE app on 2000.  My J2EE
platform does connection pooling for me and I never get more than 4
postgres.exe processes.

Also, what kind of "vacuuming" do you do?  Just curious.

Russell