Re: resetting primary key after copy

From: "Derrick Betts" <list(at)blueaxis(dot)com>
To: "Don Guernsey" <dononyx(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: resetting primary key after copy
Date: 2007-02-12 18:00:32
Lists: pgsql-novice
> does anyone know how to do this? I need to reset the primary key after I
> copy a
> bunch of data to postgres. The other option would be to start my tables
> primary
> key at a high number, like 3000000. Any Ideas?

This may not be a very smart idea (depending on if you have foreign keys, or
links to the primary key from other tables, etc.), but perhaps you can copy
your table, then delete your primary key, then delete the primary key
column, then add a new primary key column, then create a function that adds
unique numbers to the new column, then add the primary key constraint back
into your table.

Lots of work, but if it is what you are looking for... Keep in mind, I'm a
novice reading a NOVICE list.

Derrick