JDBC IOException: Broken pipe

From: "Frank Morton" <fmorton(at)mail(dot)base2inc(dot)com>
Subject: JDBC IOException: Broken pipe
Date: 1998-08-04 21:57:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I'm new to the list, though I have been using postgresql for awhile.

My understanding is that the JDBC driver is not thread safe, so
what I have been doing is opening a new connection to the database
for each thread. In this application, generally 5 to 10 threads
are running.

I am using Solaris 2.5.1 with postgresql 6.3.2.

My problem is that after running "awhile" (which I will call 24 hours,
though I am not sure yet if that is long or short) even the most
simple application will start getting java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
exceptions, which I assume means that the database has disappeared.
Is that right?

I am looking for advice in general regarding how I am handling
the threading situation and if anyone can shed any light on how
to avoid "Broken pipe".

Thanks.

Frank Morton (fmorton(at)mail(dot)base2inc(dot)com)
Voice: (317) 876-3355
FAX: (317) 876-3398
Home: (317) 574-0815