Fw: Optimization recommendations request

From: "Joe Conway" <jconway2(at)home(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-SQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fw: Optimization recommendations request
Date: 2000-12-24 02:35:05
Lists: pgsql-sql
Well, this message never made it through, but I managed to answer my own
question -- I never ran vacuum analyze which caused a table scan instead of
an index scan. After running vacuum analyze the query returns immediately. I
would still be interested in any hints to optimize performance for very
large tables (>10M tuples).

Thanks,

Joe

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on an application where I need to design for one table to grow
> to an extremely large size. I'm already planning to partition the data
into
> multiple tables, and even possibly multiple servers, but even so each
table
> may need to grow to the 10 - 15 million tuple range. This table will be
used
> for a keyed lookup and it is very important that the query return in well
> under a second. I've done a small test using a dual ppro 200 server with
512
> MB RAM, running RedHat Linux 6.1, and a late November 7.1 pre-beta
snapshot
> of PostgreSQL (PGOPTS="-D/opt/pgsql/data -i  -B 25000"). I used a test
table
> with about 5 million tuples.
>
> Details:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo(
>     guid varchar(20) not null,
>     ks varchar(20) not null
> );
>
> --> insert 5,000,000 rows, both guid and ks are 20 byte sha-1 hashes
> -- tried this first
> -- create index foo_idx1 on foo(guid);
> -- then tried
> create index foo_idx1 on foo using HASH (guid);
>
> SELECT ks FROM foo WHERE guid =
'f9ee1930f4010ba34cc5ca6efd27d988eb4f921d';

> The query currently takes in excess of 40 seconds. I would appreciate any
> suggestions for optimizing to bring this down substantially.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe Conway

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Keith WongDate: 2000-12-24 03:44:01
Subject: Re: Create table doesn't work in plpgsql
Previous:From: xyziiDate: 2000-12-23 19:16:07
Subject: left join ?