Re: Subsorting GROUP BY data

From: "Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt>
To: "Johnson, Michael L(dot)" <michael(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)ngc(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Subsorting GROUP BY data
Date: 2008-11-10 15:23:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

If it is to Group the items by cat field then select the ID where the num is
the highest in group,

You could maybe try

SELECT a.ID, b.Cat,b.Num
FROM my_table a
JOIN ( SELECT cat, MAX(num) as maximo FROM my_table GROUP_BY cat) b
ON a.Cat = b.Cat
AND a.Num = b.maximo;

It 'll probably give what you need (with minor fixes...)

Best,
Oliveiros