Re: SAPDB Open Souce

From: "Horst Herb" <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAPDB Open Souce
Date: 2001-04-29 05:10:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I downloaded it. The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal. Need
> I say more. :-)

1.) What is wrong with a mixture of C++, Python and Pascal? Nothing IMHO.

2.) The directory structure is probably the consequence of the development
tools (produced automatically). Such a structure can have advantages, too.

3.) I left Germany 6 years ago. I don't know what happened in the meantime,
but at that time (and the past 10 years before that) virtually any major
business and the majority of large hospitals were running on SAP. AFAIK,
similar in other european countries. Complaints about the horrendous price
structure (par with Oracle) - yes. Complaints about crappy user interfaces -
yes. Complaints about arrogant support team - yes. But *no* complaints
regarding data integrity, robustness, and almost no complaints regarding
performance.

Therefore, I think it should not be disregarded too quickly. There is
certainly something to learn from it by studying it; that would be probably
more productive than using the same time just thinking about own design.
(Maybe start looking at their developer manuals, which are *really* helpful
if you want to develop something with SAP).

I can't help it (as much as I admire Postgres, and as much as I like using
it), but I always perceive a certain air of arrogance blowing from this
list - a feeling I don't get from other open source projects. I might be
wrong here.

Regards,
Horst