Re: Bugs in PostgreSQL v7.1 rpms for RedHat

From: "Jacopo Silva" <jacoposilva(at)tin(dot)it>
To: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "David Lizano" <david(dot)lizano(at)izanet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bugs in PostgreSQL v7.1 rpms for RedHat
Date: 2001-04-19 23:21:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "David Lizano" <david(dot)lizano(at)izanet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 7:29 PM

> Works here, for some reason. But I'll check it. I run these very RPM's
> on RH 6.2, 7.0, _and_ 7.1 and have not found this problem. But, I _will_
> double check, and will issue a patch that still uses pg_ctl accordingly.
> (...)

I agree, no problems on RH for me too.

I agree with the default no networking conf and I think that
with 7.1 there you do not need any more to set command
line options ("-i"), now everything goes in the .conf file.

I would rather set chkconfig to start a little bit later and to stop
the service sooner in the shutdown, something like
# chkconfig - 95 05

Then chkconfig --add could go in the rpm install script.

Finally I did not find the new pg_restore tool for
reloading databeses from new style dump archives.
You can check with
rpm -qil postgres-*|grep restore

For this reason I had to recompile pgsql from
scratch. I think it should go in the RPM packages.

Thanks again to the RH packages maintainer.

Jacopo